Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Fork Ran Away With the Spoon?

Is that correct?  I'll have to "google it".
This is one of my latest projects.  I needed some artwork for a recent vacant staging job and as always, keeping the costs down is a biggie as a stager.

I had these red lily panels and they have always been a favorite of mine, but I haven't used them in quite sometime, so I took them apart.


I spray painted the panels with black chalkboard paint (2 coats).  That wasn't quiet enough coverage so I rolled on 1 more coat for complete coverage.



The panels had a rough texture to them and I was a little worried about how that would look, but it turned out ok. 

 
 
 
Of course, I got this idea from a pinterest pin and checked out The Graphics Fairy site and down loaded her fork and spoon graphics. 
To make the images large enough for my project I had to print each utensil out on 3 separate sheets of paper.  Let me see if I can explain this...
-I saved the images as a jpeg,
-opened them in Microsoft paint program
-clicked file - print-page set up
-changed the orientation to landscape
-centered the image horizontally and vertically
-clicked fit to 3 x 1 pages
-clicked print and the image came out on three pages.
Carefully, the images were then cut out and taped together in the appropriate places.
 

See the spoon in the top of the photo all cut out and ready to be applied to the black board?

Mod Podge was applied all over the black board and I then applied the paper spoon.  Mod Podge was applied on top of the spoon and smoothed out with a wall paper roller (that's all I could find in my arsenal of tools)...it worked!


The "podge" will dry clear although it goes on like a milky paint and you have to be really careful not to tear your paper like I did...
See were all the extra podge is glopped on? I did that to try to place as much paper back as possible.  Once everything was dry, I used a black pen to fill in the lines that were "erased" away with to much vigor.

Once they were dry, I sprayed a little poly-acrylic sealer on them and popped them back into their frames.  They are a mess on the back, but no one can see that part.


I was extremely pleased with the results and the panels looked really good in the dining room of the staged house.

 
Have you tried podge-ing yet?





No comments:

Post a Comment