Monday, August 5, 2013

We’ll See, Ce Ce Caldwell….

Just how washable are your paints!

Warning…this may take a while…
This weekend, the sun was out and a welcomed site.  We’ve had more than our share of rain this summer and many projects were put off due to the damp weather.  I was able to accomplish some of the projects that I had started and never finished. 
1st project was to add one more coat of stain to our back porch dining table so I can start the protective clear coat this week. I'll post more on this project later...

2nd was to hang the curtains in our bedroom, that I purchased last summer and never got around to hanging. Excuse the mess, it's a work in progress and you wouldn't believe the equipment used in this project...

3rd seal the grout in our master bath shower that I replaced last weekend.

And I did all of that so that I could get downstairs and try out my newly purchased chalk paint.  I would not let myself start any project with this new discovery until I had finished the other projects.
 
If you aren’t familiar with chalk paint, it’s the be-all-end all in repainting furniture, kitchen cabinets, metal, you name it, you can use chalk paint on it.  Stripping the furniture or sanding is not required.  All you have to do is make sure the piece is clean and start painting, however waxing is required at the end to protect the paint and enhance the color.

We live 45 minutes south of Atlanta and there aren’t any vendors that carry any of the popular brands of chalk paint (Annie Sloan, Ce Ce Caldwell, Miss Mustard Seed, etc.) in our area.  There is a shop in Senoia, Ga. that sells it, but I’m never in that area and it’s a long way to drive for me to buy 1 quart of this expensive wondrous paint.

 
Fate intervened in that I needed to meet a client on Friday, to discuss an upcoming home staging project and she suggested The Senoia Coffee and Café.
 

Well, twist my arm why don’t you? As soon as we finished our meeting, I made a bee line to the cute little shop that carried the Annie Sloan brand and as I was leaving that shop noticed another shop that carried the Ce Ce Caldwell brand.  I purchased A. S. duck egg blue, and CCC in pure white. I couldn’t wait to get home and start using my new purchases.
I was so excited to try it, I didn’t know which way to turn.  What would I start painting first?  
I had this little picture frame that I wanted to paint, so I added a coat of CCC pure white to it.  You can see that I had added painters tape (another project that didn’t get finished) to create stripes and all I had to do was start painting. Out in the sun it goes to dry. 
 

Then I had some old faded reed placemats and I put a coat of AS duck egg blue on those….out into the sun it goes.  Not really sure that I like these painted, but I needed something to paint quickly.
 

I’m in the basement, practically turning around in circles, excitedly trying to decide on what to paint next and I spotted a mirror I’ve been wanting to lighten up.  I snatch it off the wall and lay it on the table and start applying AS duck egg blue.  I was so excited to use this beautiful paint that I didn’t take any before photos.
 

 
Got that coat on, applied a 2nd coat to the now dried placemats and then decided to add one more coat of white to the little picture frame before I stopped.

 
Now let me just say, I know that I tapped that lid on the CCC paint after I used it the first time….I just know that I DID!  I grabbed the paint in one hand, started to shake the container and guess what?  The lid was loose and paint was splashing out EVERY WHERE!  I was a gasp, I say, absolutely gasping!  
It was on the floor (carpet tiles) on furniture legs, on the wall, all over my clothes and me.  While wanting to throw up because of the mess that I had just made and because of all that expensive chalk paint that I had just wasted, the only thing that I could think of was…"well they say it just cleans up with water and a little bit of soap, so we’ll just see if it actually does. We'll just see Ce Ce Caldwell!)

I started pulling up the glued carpet tiles and taking them outside one by one to hose off, I would wet one down and then go get another one. Once they were all outside, I added some spray cleaner and started hosing.  And it did wash completely out of the carpet tiles.  WHEW! 

 



I

The walls and some of the other places that got splattered were not so lucky...


And my paint clothes may not recover...

 
I’m still locating paint splatters, but I’m not going to let it upset me.  These things happen.  Get over it!  Move on!  Go paint something else and be sure the lid is on  next time. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment